COVID Policies & Procedures
Guidelines for Remaining Open
Please know that the safety of our children, staff and families is our preeminent concern. Therefore, all safety measures will be strictly enforced for the safety and wellbeing of all. The general guidance for BLPS is based on the CDC, VA Health Department and the VA Department of Social Services. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the school office.
Hours of Preschool Operation (beginning Fall 2021):
- Our preschool hours of operation will be Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Hours of Kindergarten Operation (beginning Fall 2021):
- Our kindergarten hours of operation will be Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Drop-off and Pick-up will continue to be conducted curbside only.
- A visible sign must be placed on the windshield (passenger side) with your child’s name and classroom. These signs will be provided during your Meet the Teacher appointment.
- All parents are required to submit a daily digital wellness screening prior to Drop-off via the Brightwheel app. The wellness form must be submitted before you drop off or your child will not be permitted into the building.
- All students will have their temperature checked before exiting the vehicle. Children with a temperature reading of 100 degrees or more will not be allowed in school that day (see below for further details on fevers).
- Teachers will escort your child to their assigned classroom. Classes will stay separated throughout the day, with the exception of outdoor play time.
- Children and staff must wash/sanitize their hands upon arrival.
- Pick-up will work the same as Drop-off. Your child and their belongings will be brought to you curbside. Preschool Pick-up will begin at 12:50p.m. Kindergarten Pick-up will begin at 1:50p.m.
- In order to promote stable groups and social distancing, additional children, family, friends, etc. will not be allowed in the preschool building, other than for their scheduled Meet the Teacher and Parent/Teacher Conference appointments.
- ALL individuals who enter the building must sign in and have their temperature taken. This is to help assist with contact tracing if there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 at our center.
- Early pick-ups will be done curbside. Should you need to pick up your child early, please call the school office from the curb (703-765-8687) and a staff member will bring your child to you.
We are aware that after any long period of time being away from the routine of school drop-off, this transition will be difficult for many of us. Please talk to your child about coming back to school and how their teachers will now be taking them from their car/car seat and into their classroom. Expect a few tears in the beginning, this is very normal. We will provide loving arms and comfort to help them through the transition. Please make your “good-byes” as brief as possible, this will help us with the new Drop-off procedures. We thank you in advance for all of your help and support!
- Teachers will implement small group activities and encourage individual play/activities.
- All supplies will be sanitized daily.
- The school supply box is mandatory and provided by the school for a nominal fee.
- Each classroom will operate in a set pod. Pods are comprised of 2 classrooms. The playground will be limited to no more than one pod at a time.
- Large group activities will be eliminated.
- Chapel time will be scheduled weekly with each classroom pod.
- Classrooms will attend lunch with their pod in the cafeteria or outdoor picnic area. Lunch times will be scheduled for each classroom pod.
- Snack time will take place in the classroom.
Cleaning and Sanitization Procedures:
- Hand sanitizer is available in all classrooms.
- The school will be professionally cleaned and sanitized daily.
- Increased hand washing and sanitization for children will be required.
- Playground equipment will be cleaned and sanitized each morning.
- In order to reduce exposure, communal water fountains will no longer be used.
- Each child will be required to bring a water bottle, labeled with their name. Their water bottle will be available for them to use throughout the day. Water bottles are stored in individual compartments. All bottles must be taken home, washed, and returned daily.
Group Size and Ratios:
- Classroom capacities/ratios will be limited as follows:
- Toddlers: Baby Bears (1:3) 8 people maximum including (2) teachers.
- 2s: Hippos (1:4) 15 people maximum including (3) teachers.
- 3s: Foxes (1:5) 18 people maximum including (3) teachers.
- Junior Pre-K: Owls (1:5) 18 people maximum including (3) teachers.
- Pre-K: Giraffes (1:6) 14 people maximum including (2) teachers.
- Kindergarten: Bobcats (1:7) 16 people maximum including (2) teachers.
- Children will remain with their “class pods” throughout the day to reduce possible exposure. Each pod is comprised of (2) assigned classrooms.
- The same teachers will be with each class throughout the day to reduce possible exposure.
- All children ages 2 and over are required to wear a face mask at all times, including recess. Masks will be removed during snack and lunch times only.
- Please make sure your child has their mask on properly (covering their mouth and their nose) upon exiting the car at Drop-off.
- BLPS Staff are also required to wear a face mask at all times.
- All reusable masks must be taken home and washed daily.
- Please send your child to school with (2) additional masks in their backpack.
- Children must be symptom-free prior to entering the school. Symptoms include, but are not limited to: shortness of breath, coughing, fatigue, muscle pain, sore throat, rash of unknown origin, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, watering eyes, fever of 100 degrees or higher, runny nose, and chills. Apart from a fever, should your child exhibit any of the above symptoms they must stay out of school for at least 24 hours and have a signed “Safe to Return” waiver before returning to school. In case of a fever, your child must stay out of school for at least 24 hours, only returning when they are fever-free without the use of fever reducing medication. Your child MUST be cleared by a doctor in order to return to school. All fevers need to be reported to the school office immediately.
- Children who develop the above listed symptoms at school must be picked up within one hour and be cleared with a doctor’s permission to return to school.
- Each child must always have (1) change of clothes on hand. Children in the Toddlers, 2s and 3s classes must always have (2) changes of clothing on hand. These must be in a Ziploc bag (not a personal bag) clearly marked with their name.
- Personal belongings from home are NOT permitted apart from diapers, wipes and extra clothes.
- In the event of a confirmed case of COVID-19 at BLPS, all families will be notified without breaking confidentiality. We will follow health department guidelines, which may include closure for an undetermined amount of time.
- Confirmed cases will be reported to the Health Department and VA Department of Licensing to identify the close contacts who will need to quarantine. The Health Department will determine required operational procedures that may include a temporary school closure.
- In the event there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 by a student, teacher or family member within the same household, classroom procedures are as follows:
*All families of that classroom will be notified
*The entire classroom, including staff, will be required to quarantine for 14 days (unless stated otherwise).
*ALL students must have a signed waiver or negative COVID test in order to return to school after quarantine.